Jump in the pool with some trendy one-piece swimsuits! It’s the height of summer, and the best way to keep cool is by going out to the beach or swimming pool. Whether you prefer one-piece swimsuits because of modesty, sun exposure, or because you just keep losing one half of your two-piece, have no fear because there are so many fashionable one-piece swimsuits you can wear.
We’ve gathered some of the best one-piece swimsuits you can buy online! I’ll also help you figure out how to choose the right type of one-piece swimsuit for your body type, so you can have an easy time with the list.
Even if you don’t know what your body type is, don’t worry – I’ve also sectioned things off based on more specific features. To cap things off, I’ll help you figure out how to style your one-piece swimsuits so you can feel beautiful and chic both in and out of the water.
17 Trendiest One-Piece Swimsuits for Women in 2018
One-pieces are having a moment this summer and it’s no surprise, since there are so many amazing options that flatter every body shape and style. These 17 one-piece swimsuits are the hottest pieces this summer, so skim through to find your dream piece!
1. Retro ‘80s One-Piece Swimsuit
This dark green swimsuit is made of a textured fabric, for a summery-boho vibe. It’s a one-size-fits-all that can work from anyone who wears between an extra-small to a large size. The high-cut leg opening is perfect for elongating short legs, while the open back is classy yet sexy. This Hunza G one-piece is sold online through Net-a-Porter.
2. Limonada One-Piece Swimsuit
This girlish swimsuit will allow you to flash some skin without feeling exposed. The lemon print is nothing short of adorable, as are the multiple ties in the back. The off-the-shoulder neckline makes it one of the best one-piece swimsuits for women with broader shoulders or a larger bust, while the cut at the back makes any behind look juicier. You can buy this For Love & Lemons swimsuit through Revolve.
3. Red & Classy Swimsuit
This swimsuit gives you all the sexiness of a two-piece, without the hassle of dealing with two pieces. It’s a great choice for women wanting to de-emphasize a larger bust or wide hips, and the high-cut of the bottom half can help hide a belly. You can purchase it from Forward.
4. Side Stripe Twist Swimsuit
If you’d like to elongate your body, this sporty, yellow-striped swimsuit is the perfect choice. Everything from the plunging neckline to the vertical stripes to the high-cut leg holes gives the illusion that you’re taller and slimmer, while details at the side cinch in the waist. Get it directly from Topshop.
5. Solid & Striped One-Piece Swimsuit
Yet another sporty and striped option to make you feel sky high! This is one of the best one-piece swimsuits for those who like a simple style, with a classy rounded neckline. It’s a slimming design great for those wanting to camouflage wide-hips. Buy it online from Net-a-Porter.
6. Better Vibes One-Piece Swimsuit
This fun and colorful piece shows off a lot of skin, so it’s certainly a great choice for women with a ton of confidence. The ruffles add a playful touch and are also a great compliment for a lady with a smaller bust. The triangular front panel brings in the waist and helps to hide the midsection. You can get it from Revolve.
7. Mixed Print Tropical Swimsuit
This cute mixed print is perfect for any tropical excursion, and the classic design will suit almost all body shapes. The floral bottom half is feminine and whimsical, while the check print combined with the tie gives a retro vibe. It is available for sale on ASOS.
8. The Polka-Dot One-Piece Swimsuit
Is there anything more adorable than polka dots? We don’t think so, so definitely rock this swimsuit if you’re going for an ultra-feminine look. The ribbon ties at the shoulders are a fabulous way of giving the shoulders a slimmer look, while the lower half flatters a wider hip. Get it online through Net-a-Porter.
9. Gingham One-Piece Swimsuit
This is one of the best one-piece swimsuits for women with a more athletic build who want to appear more feminine. The plunging neckline suits a smaller bust, the high-cut leg holes elongate the legs, and a tie around the waist keeps things looking tight and cinched. The gingham print is timeless and classy. This swimsuit is sold online through Revolve.
10. Millennial Pink Belted Swimsuit
This gorgeous pink swimsuit is made with a seersucker texture that really stands out. It is flattering for most body types, giving a feminine shape, and helps you feel covered yet elegant and sexy. You can buy this swimsuit from Net-a-Porter.
11. Heart Throb One-Piece Swimsuit
This baby blue one-piece is so playful. It is covered in an adorable white print, and has lots of tie embellishments that add some sexiness. The low-cut, straight-across neckline elongates a shorter torso and flatters a medium bust, although it is also great for women with a larger bust who will appreciate the underwire support. You can find it for sale at Revolve.
12. One-Shoulder One-Piece Swimsuit
Brave the beach in a light-pink/ nude swimsuit with some really unique elements. This swimsuit features a crochet detail along the leg holes, neckline, and straps that changes colors from side to side, keeping things unique and interesting. Buy it directly from Forward!
13. Lace-up Yellow One-Piece Swimsuit
Is there a color more cheerful than yellow? We don’t think so. This is one of the best one-piece swimsuits, especially if you’re a fan of solid colors. The design is colorful, modest, and flattering for all body shapes, with a lace-up detail adding interest. You can purchase it from ASOS.
14. Black One-Shoulder Swimsuit
This slimming black swimsuit is elegant and classy. It holds the body well, even with the one-shoulder strap, and is extremely durable. It gives a very streamlined look that would be best for women with a more top-heavy body. It is available for sale through Net-a-Porter.
15. Santa Barbara One-Shoulder Scalloped Swimsuit
This gorgeous design will definitely win you some double takes out on the beach, and it can also double as a bodysuit worn with a skirt or short shorts. This one-shoulder swimsuit is solid-colored, with a flattering cut and nice details along the ends. Net-a-Porter can have it shipped directly to your door.
16. Jenner-Approved One-Piece Swimsuit
This is another swimsuit that shows how sexy one-pieces can be. This playful design elongates the body with vertical stripes, while a well-placed cutout emphasizes a feminine waist and shows some skin. This Kendall + Kylie design can be bought through Revolve.
17. Blogger-Approved One-Piece Swimsuit
You can feel confident in this structured, striped swimsuit done in collaboration with We Wore What’s Danielle. Vertical stripes give extra length to the body, and a belted waist gives a more hourglass shape. There is underwire for extra bust support, while a scoop neck is extremely flattering. Pick it up from Shopbop!
How to Choose One-Piece Swimsuits for Your Body Shape
I want to start by saying that I hate those body shape charts, and it often makes a lot more sense to go feature by feature, rather than trying to figure out what kind of fruit your body looks like. With that being said, the shapes are handy if you’re looking for a full-body description and don’t want to go body part by body part.
I instinctively know that my silhouette is more pear-shaped, with wider hips and a smaller bust, and so I did decide to dedicate the first section to finding the best one-piece swimsuits based on those big picture shapes.
If you’re not sure about your shape, or if you don’t think you fit into any of the categories, that’s okay too – skip straight down to the section where I break down the best one-piece swimsuits based on specific features.
Best One-Piece Swimsuits for Apple Body Shape
Apple is the description often used for women with larger busts and a smaller hip and butt. In a lot of items women with this body-shape can end up looking boxy, and much heavier than they really are, but because one-piece swimsuits have a tight fit they are actually a great way of showing what’s really going on in an extremely flattering way!
• When looking for the top part of a one-piece, you want something that will hold your breasts well, to avoid any accidents, but that doesn’t mean you have to hide or cover them! Plunging necklines are perfectly fine, as are scoop necklines and sweetheart necklines.
• If you really do want to minimize the appearance of your breasts, a straight, higher neckline will help with that and will draw attention away from the girls.
• Avoid halter tops, as they are not so sturdy, and they might give you some neck pain by the end of the day. Instead, opt for thicker straps.
• Resist the urge to cover up the belly with panels or extra fabric! While some ruching can help, too much fabric will only make you look heavier and rounder.
• There are a few methods to bring in the waist to have it look smaller, and give the body more of an hourglass shape. The key part is to have a separation at the center of the body, with a line of some sort. This line can come from a top half and a bottom half in different colors or patterns, ruching, a belt, or a ribbon across the waist.
• Cutouts along the side of the body can also help create that separation, and make the waist appear tinier.
• Lastly, you will want to find a way to emphasize your hips! There are all kinds of elements that can do that for you, including panels along the sides of the hips, a bottom-heavy print, and even ruffles and other 3-dimensional details that will make everything look a little bigger.
Best One-Piece Swimsuits for Pear Body Shape
I think the pear body type is having a resurgence (or at least that’s what I tell myself), so don’t worry about flaunting your body at the beach! A pear shape is defined by wider hips and a larger behind, while the bust is on the small side of things.
I give directions for how to choose a one-piece swimsuit that will give more balance to your body shape, but don’t feel pressured to minimize the look of your hips and butt. You can ignore my advice altogether, and instead do the opposite to emphasize the natural curves yo’ mama gave ya.
• To draw a bit more attention to the bust and try to mimic a more hourglass shape, look for one-piece swimsuits where there is more detailing at the top. Ruffles will give more volume to your chest, but even a brighter color or bigger print could create the illusion that you have a larger bust. Padding is also an a-okay option.
• To balance out the larger bottom, look for solid colors at the bottom of the swimsuit. Avoid prints, details, or brighter colors. Vertical stripes along the bottom will help lengthen your whole look.
• Avoid skirted bottoms, as these will actually make your hips and butt look even wider!
• A more conservative cut at the back, along with lower-cut leg holes will make your butt look smaller, but watch out because this can also shorten your legs.
Best One-Piece Swimsuits for Hourglass Body Shape
It’s hard to find a one-piece swimsuit that won’t flatter a lady with a tiny waist, but big hips and a larger bust. With that being said, there are a ton of ways to accentuate and play around with all that goodness!
• First things first, show off that waist! A high-waisted fit, whether through paneling, ruching, cut-outs, or different fabrics will draw attention to your beautiful figure.
• If you want a slimmer, more streamlined effect instead, find one-piece swimsuits with vertical lines or prints, or simply wear a solid-colored swimsuit that will give you a more sleek figure.
• Find one-piece swimsuits with more supportive tops, as very thin halters or strapless swimsuits will either weigh down on your neck or give you zero support.
Best One-Piece Swimsuits for Rectangle or Athletic Body
Some women naturally have less curves, while others find themselves with this kind of body through a lot of exercises. I think that every shape is a great shape, so you can wear all kinds of bathing suits.
However, many women with a more athletic body do want one-piece swimsuits that will make them appear a little curvier, so this is the direction my advice will go in.
• Look for cuts that will make your waist appear curvier. The curvy waist effect can be achieved through cut outs or panels at the sides, as well as through creating a separation with the help of a seam along the waist or with the help of a belt or ribbon.
• If you want to make your bust or hips seem curvier and larger, then look for details that will draw attention and make everything seem bigger.
• Ruffles and ruching at the chest, hips, or butt will give a three dimensional effect that will make everything larger.
• Loud prints and bright colors will catch the eye and create an illusion that your bust or hips are wider.
• If you want to go all-out with the femininity, play around with cute prints, ribbons, or floral details.
Best One-Piece Swimsuits for Triangle Body Shape
If your shoulders are powerful and broad, and the rest of your body is fairly slim, then you have more of a triangle shape. This is especially common in women that like to work out a lot.
If you want to show off those powerful shoulders, more power to you! However, many women want a more feminine shape, which is what I’ll focus on.
• Interesting straps are your friends, as is anything that will draw attention to your bust! Avoid strapless one-piece swimsuits, instead opting for halter-tops or necklines that show off a bit of cleavage.
• Colorful prints will also help draw attention to your bust or hips, and draw the eyes away from your shoulders.
• Asymmetrical straps and off-the shoulder straps can actually work beautifully with your body type, as well.
• Give balance to your triangle shape by also drawing the eyes to your lower half. Horizontal prints and bright colors are a great choice for that.
Best One-Piece Swimsuits for Long Torso
• Finding one-piece swimsuits to fit a long torso is mostly a question of good sizing. Measure yourself, compare the measurements to the suit, and definitely order from retailers that’ll take returns.
• You will have an easier time with halter-top one-piece swimsuits, as they can be adjusted at the neck to account for your longer torso.
• As far as finding something flattering – listen, you don’t need to shorten your body, just wear whatever you think is cute.
• If you are really set on creating more balance, look for color-blocked one-piece swimsuits that will break up the length of your torso, or opt for options with a break that sits higher on the waist.
• Avoid lengthening prints like vertical stripes.
Best One-Piece Swimsuits for Short Torso
• One way to lengthen your torso is by showing off extra chest and clavicle. You can do this with any neckline that starts as low as possible, including a plunging neckline.
• Stripes and vertical prints will give the illusion of length while also being very slimming.
• Having some sort of separation or belting on the lower part of the waist will also help elongate your torso, while also giving you a more feminine shape. Make sure the line itself is very thin, and that it sits lower on your waist.
Best One-Piece Swimsuits for Short Legs
• The Brazilian cut is the secret to elongating the legs, as long as you’re not nervous about showing off a little bit of skin.
• Look for one-piece swimsuits with high-cut leg holes – these will elongate the leg, and they are also really friggin’ sexy.
Best One-Piece Swimsuits for Small Chest
• If you want to draw attention to your chest and have it look a touch bigger, opt for one-piece swimsuits with eye-catching details on the top part. These can include larger prints, brighter colors, or ruffles that will create the illusion that your chest is bigger.
• Plunging necklines tend to look very classy and modern on ladies with a smaller chest. This won’t make your bust look bigger, but it’ll still be extremely sexy.
• Halter tops are a great choice for ladies with smaller chest, since their shape tends to be extremely flattering.
• There are a ton of one-piece swimsuits that also offer some padding and even underwire, to enhance and push things up.
• Sweetheart necklines are another cute choice that will emphasize the bust, and even give you a bit of a retro vibe!
Best One-Piece Swimsuits for Large Chest
• The most important thing is to ensure you have adequate support! For some women, halter necks can cause back pain, but others like the ability to control how high or low the breasts sit, so feel free to experiment.
• Underwire will give you the most support, but keep in mind that one-piece swimsuits with underwire also bring more attention to the chest.
• If you’d like to draw attention away from the chest, look for a swimsuit with a top part that has a smaller print, or no print, with eye-catching details on the lower half of the body.
• A higher, straight across neck will also take attention away from the chest.
• That isn’t to say you shouldn’t show off! Necklines that show cleavage are fun and sexy, and isn’t that what summer is all about?
Best One-Piece Swimsuits for Larger Booty and Wide Hips
• If you’re bottom-heavy, you have a few options for how to rock a one-piece swimsuit.
• In order to try and give your body a bit of balance and to feel more covered, you can opt for a solid-colored bottom part with leg holes that sit lowers, to give you more coverage. Paired with a louder top half, this will help de-emphasize your butt and hips.
• Alternatively, take the exact opposite route and emphasize what nature gave you! Wear a louder print on the bottom half, with a cut that shows a bit of cheek, and enjoy being the sexiest chick at the shore.
Best One-Piece Swimsuits for Flat Hips and a Smaller Butt
• These days most women are craving a larger booty, and the cut of your one-piece swimsuit can really help create that illusion.
• Opt for a slightly higher cut that shows off a little bit of skin – a more conservative cut will only emphasize a lack of dimension.
• Three-dimensional details like skirting along the hip or ruching will add some volume to your lower half.
• A loud print and brighter colors will also help your behind stand out nicely.
Best One-Piece Swimsuits for Broad Shoulders
• This advice only applies if you want to make your shoulders appear daintier. If you like the powerful, broad-shouldered look, then simply rock whatever swimsuit you like, including strapless numbers!
• Draw attention to your lower half instead with anything from prints, embellishments, and other details.
• Opt for one-piece swimsuits with a top half that shows off some cleavage – by drawing attention to the chest, you draw attention away from the shoulders.
• Asymmetrical necklines and one-shoulder straps create interest around the chest and also do an excellent job of minimizing the shoulders.
Best One-Piece Swimsuits for Hiding Cellulite
Let’s be real, any woman, regardless of her shape or size, can have cellulite, and I think it’s mostly unrealistic to aim to hide it. Those dimples mostly show up along the back and sides of the tights, so the key is to distract from it with a swimsuit that has interesting details, especially along the sides.
• If you’re not feeling shy, high-cut leg holes can elongate the leg and give a really nice shape that draws attention away from the thighs.
• If you do feel the need to hide the upper part of your thigh, you can choose a swimsuit with a skirted bottom, which can still be cute and sexy.
Best One-Piece Swimsuits for Hiding a Belly
• Most one-piece swimsuits work perfectly to flatten a belly, so you should have a very easy time finding something that’ll fit you.
• Avoid one-piece swimsuits where extra fabric is placed over the stomach, or descends down from the chest. While you may feel as though your stomach is covered, this will actually make it seem bigger.
• Likewise, a large print only over the stomach can draw attention to the area, while an all-over print wouldn’t be an issue.
• Panels on the bottom half of your swimsuit can actually help streamline and suck everything in, making your stomach seem smaller.
Tips for Styling One-Piece Swimsuits
There are all kinds of clever ways to change up your swimsuit. A one-piece swimsuit can even be treated like a bodysuit, and worn throughout the day!
I give all kinds of advice as to how you can style your one-piece bathing suit so you look cute on the beach as well as out and about going on your business. I’ve categorized the different styling methods based on the desired effect you may want.
If you’re going to take your one-piece swimsuit from the restaurant to the hotel pool, you want to dress it up so it looks a little more elegant.
• On the bottom you can wear a comfortable skirt that is tighter for a sexier look, or with a slimming A-line cut. If your swimsuit is patterned, then opt for a solid color, while if you’re wearing a solid-color swimsuit you have the option of color blocking or wearing a printed skirt. Choose whichever length you’re comfortable with!
• You can also wear a high-waisted pant for a modern yet elegant look.
• A wrap-around dress is perfect if you need a more complete cover-up. You can leave the front part a little open, so that your one-piece swimsuit can peak out like a camisole. Wrap around dresses are also great for protecting you from the sun once you’re out of the water!
• Opt for a pair of strappy sandals, cute flats, or even a pair of strappy heels to complement the ensemble.
• Jewelry is key to dress things up. Opt for simple pieces made of gold or silver, but remember to take them off before getting in the water!
Sporty and Casual
• Wear a pair of jean shorts or running shorts for a comfortable, casual look over your swimsuit.
• If you’d like to cover up the top part a bit, you can opt for a cotton tank-top or even a loose T-shirt.
• A cap is important for keeping the sun out of your face, while a pair of sporty sunglasses will complete the look.
• Long, flowy skirts will take your one-piece swimsuit to a place that is dressed up for most occasions and yet is still comfortable so you can feel relaxed.
• To protect yourself from the sun, a white caftan is the perfect cover-up that is also effortless and free-spirited.
• You can tie a large piece of fabric around your neck after draping it behind your body, to create a chic summer halter dress.
• Big, chunky jewelry will go perfectly with a bohemian style. Colorful beads and seashells will keep things fun and summery, and remember that an anklet is a must!
• Opt for strappy, rope-sandals or a pair of embellished flip-flops to finish off the look.
• A big, floppy hat will be the perfect way to keep the sun out of your face without sacrificing style!
Just a Hint of Modesty
Sometimes on the beach we just want something small to change up our look as we go in and out of the water, but we still want to feel beachy and alluring. These are the small things you can do to change up your look.
• Tie a sheer scarf around your waist to act as a skirt and to give a bit of coverage to your bottom and thighs.
• For a bit more coverage, tie a longer sarong around your neck for a dress effect, or around your hips so it looks like a longer skirt.
• An open button-up shirt or a long, flowy jacket can protect you from the sun’s harsh rays and still allow you to show off your gorgeous one-piece bathing suit.
• A sheer dress can allow you to feel a bit more covered up, while still showing off that one-piece swimsuit that you spent so long choosing.
Photos via @collagevintage, @belenhostalet, @mikutas, @barbarabrigido